Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Food Soulful!

Paneer makhani

My microwave tales have been almost verging on the irritating for my dear colleagues were not getting to taste anything…so theoretical renditions of fabulous microwave yields were simply grating on their nerves, and all my valorous culinary experiments were, perhaps, becoming suspicious. Finally, however, I promised them to bring something, microwaved to college. I thought of several things: chicken fry, chicken butter masala, paneer butter masala, etc…but finally zeroed in on paneer makhani. And to compliment that asked Ma to make alu ka paratha. Pure North Indian cuisine from a middle class Bengali kitchen. However, my colleagues (barring Samata) are barely bothered about the origin of a dish…they generally do not mind anything as long as it is chewably digestible.



Alu ka paratha
My text-messages started spreading the news of a hatke Monday lunch as I shopped for paneer makhani. Paneer, tomatoes, ginger, garam masala, tomato ketchup, kasuri methi, cashew nuts, butter, and milk. I was specifically worried about the kasuri methi; it was an unavoidable ingredient but Sujan is psychologically allergic to anything green. So, I had to message him in advance that he should not mistake kasuri methi for dhone pata, the latter being a major turn-off for him. Suman has already gone onomatoepic in his messages, expressing lustful anticipation for a superb Monday lunch, thereby augmenting my tension manifold. I did not inform Krishnendu, the food-freak hard to match in enthusiasm, for I wished to surprise him on Monday. And, Sujan had almost compelled me to add another guest on the list: Kinsuk. It’s not that I did not wish to invite him; but it was Sujan who had almost made me call him up injecting in me a fear that I might die repenting later if I had not.



A sumptuous amount of paneer cooked in butter base was not good for Sujan, at least. Samata and I have been advising him on resorting to a healthy diet (which meant sufficient amount of vegetables and items containing fibre), for Sujan is one big (literally too) carnivorous guy who has never known the taste of green vegetables. I was feeling a tad guilty, for inviting him to eat something I had been sagaciously advising him against having. Anyways…



Sauteed Vegetables
We had fixed 1o’clock as our lunchtime, and all five of us gathered around the table of our department. Now, Samata had a surprise. She did not tell me that she had cooked something ‘really’ Chinese for us. Samata often saves us from the atrocious canteen offerings by her delicious cheese spreads, and sometimes something from Bobby di’s kitchen. This was the first time she had actually cooked something. What? Vegetables, mushrooms and paneer sautéed in soya-sauce. It smelt so Chinese, and it tasted so as well. The recipe was unostentatious, but amazing. Well, Samata had not flouted the health rules we were trying to impose on Sujan: she had him have a purely veggie dish for the first time; and that too cooked in negligible amount of oil. Sujan’s first step to healthy eating!



The fusion spread on the table (North Indian alu ka paratha and paneer makhani with Chinese-style sautéed vegetables) looked just as odd as chalk-and-cheese, but the whole thing reminded me of the inexpert charuibhatis (picnic) we used to have years back! The ambience was actualized by the juvenile excitement of Sujan, Suman and Krishnendu…all three made it a day for us, simply by praising our effort.



I also surprised myself. The paneer predominantly tasting of kasuri methi simply melted into asking for more while the alu ka paratha rocked. I am not sure whether the food was really that good! But all of us were happy. Perhaps that seasoned the spread generously.

Image Courtesy: Sujan Chandra

8 comments:

Suman Nath said...

Both of you darlings uuummmaaahhh!! :)

It was simply a rocking lunch in "Industrial Wasteland". Both of you and kakima prepared fabulous dishes which we find "uls uls" mouth melting (not watering) and fabulous.

These are the days my friend... lets hope it never ends... ...memories stay for ever, even after the "GREAT TRANSFER"!!

Unknown said...

On that day I simply felt that life was not so bad after all...! Who says workplaces suck? We proved everyone wrong.

Anonymous said...

Kaustav... fatafati blog lekho tumi... Its really entertaining reading....

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kaushik.

medusa said...

just imagine if the bloody industrial wasteland wasn't so far away, and if we didn't have to change vehicles so many times, what all could have been achieved in terms of culinary excellence?
btw, i went ahead and bought an upmarket tiffin box so that leakages can be prevented in the future.

Unknown said...

Congrats Medusa! For the tiffin box and since you now have one do treat us more often.

Amrita Dhar said...

hmmmmm.... a sumptous read! delicious blog kaustav da. cheers! btw, that paneer topping over the alu ka paratha wala picture is really cute. imagine what a dollop of butter could have done!!

Amrita Dhar said...

and yes, try friend der tiffin churi kore khawa, kere khawa, and haat diye sei schooler moton khable khawa, its still fun, try it.